Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Ooohhh the internet....



What started off as simply checking my email and some internet research (those game engines) ended up in sore fingers and wrists... yup, my beta tester code for Battlefield Heroes was in my inbox this morning... After a couple of hours of good ol shoot em up fun I was ready for a break... so I went to check out the websites of my potential employers... oh oh... more games to be tested... one hour later and after a coffee break, back to the Battlefield.... stop for a quick lunch and... unfortunately the server for Magic Online was down... No biggie... more Battlefield!!! Weee! No matter how hard I searched, I only found one bug! Never mind, I finally got back into the game engine search when... wow, pixel games, gotta play those too!

A fine day indeed, with lots of game research done and... oh well, about the engines, yeah, so other than the simple and elegant Battlefield Heroes proprietary software (from DICE for EA, creators of Mirror's Edge as well), most of the other stuff was... Flash.... Hmmm? I'd totally forgotten about that! So web stuff: Flash, Java, Javascript or Shockwave (Director?). Your players need only have the necessary plugins, etc....

Here are some of the fun places I visited today, don't miss Pixeljam, it's got the good ol arcade style stuff, addictive simplicity! Gamma Bros brought distorted memories of galaga/space invaders back... oh those 8 bit sounds.... And somehow along the way I also stumbled on a very nice synth/mixer/rythm machine thing, free, Flash based (requires version 10 and signing up).

Pixeljam Games Small and sweet!
Dragball Very strange might-be- tetris-spawn-but-maybe-not kind of game, not my kind of music, but interesting.
Pixeljoint art challenge (Game Boy screens) Ends Sunday
Pixel Tutorials (With links to phone games site)
Zombie Massacre! Simple band game... with pixel zombies in shades of Black, Red and White... He also has another game on his site.
HobnoxAudiotool
BH....Of course...

No comments:

Post a Comment